A Step By Step Guide to Prepare a Perfect Roti
Learn how to get your roti perfectly cooked every single time using this simple step-by-step guide! Make your next roti delicious and easy to prepare.
Want to make roti that melts in your mouth and is perfectly cooked every time? With this easy step-by-step recipe, you'll be able to craft the perfect rotis for any occasion. Learn how to choose the best ingredients and make your homemade rotis quickly and easily.
When making roti, the key is to ensure that you are cooking evenly all around. This can take some practice but it is necessary to get that slightly crisp texture on the outside and a pillowy softness on the inside. To achieve this, be sure to roll out your dough gently but consistently so that they are of equal size and thickness. Then, when you’re ready to cook them, keep an eye on their progress as they cook—this will help you judge when they are ready to flip over and will prevent the burning of the roti. As a reference point, medium heat is ideal for cooking roti so that you get an even golden crust without compromising its soft interior or burning your dish!
One thing to remember when making roti is that it should still feel slightly firm to the touch once it is flipped over and cooked. More heat can cause your roti to become too crisp and dry, so be sure not to overcook them. Furthermore, once they are done cooking, let them sit off the heat for a few minutes before serving—this will help ensure they remain moist while also letting their flavours settle in. Lastly, don’t forget the finishing touches! Opt for a side of fresh yoghurt or chutney, or just enjoy plain with some curries or stews—the pairings are endlessly delicious!
Gather your ingredients and knead the dough:
- The ingredients for making the perfect roti are simple and include whole wheat flour, water, oil or ghee, and salt.
- First, mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl to create dough.
- Knead the dough for at least five minutes to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed before covering and leaving aside for 20 minutes.
- Once set aside, the dough should be soft enough to roll out easily without sticking to your hands or rolling pin.
Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes:
- After kneading the dough, it is important to let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- This helps to ensure that the roti will cook up perfectly soft and fluffy every time.
- Simply cover the dough with a damp cloth or kitchen towel and leave in a warm place for 10-15 minutes before continuing with the next step.
- This will ensure that your roti turns out perfect each time!
Shape it into small roti balls, evenly in size so that all rotis cook through in similar time:
- After the dough has rested, take a portion of it and shape it into a small ball.
- Don’t make the ball too big or it will be difficult to create a roti using it.
- Dip your fingertips in ghee or oil and flatten the ball with your palms to form a disc – this will help the roti cook through evenly with no lumps or unevenness.
- Try creating more than one roti at once for even shapes and uniform cooking!
Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat and roll out each ball into thin chappatis or roti pieces- making sure it gets as round as possible on both sides:
- It’s important to achieve a very thin circle, as this will help you perfect each Roti piece.
- Place the rolled roti on the medium heated pan and begin to roast both sides until you start noticing golden-brown spots on each one.
- When cooked through perfection, use a kitchen cotton cloth or spatula to move each chapati off of the pan, so it can be served hot with your favourite dish!
Cook the roti on medium heat until it begins to puff up and then flip it over to get an even golden crust on both sides:
- To get an even golden hue on both sides of the roti, start cooking it on medium heat.
- As you cook it, you'll notice that your roti will start to puff up in certain areas.
- This is an indication that the roti is done and ready to be flipped over.
- Gently turn the roti over so that it cooks until it has an even golden tint on both sides.
- Once cooked through perfection, remove from heat and serve hot with your favourite dish!